GARDENIA IS COMMITTED TO MANAGING ITS ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT
Gardenia recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
Jamie Grant, the owner and founder of Gardenia of London, is responsible for ensuring that the environmental policy is implemented. However, all employees have a responsibility in their area to ensure that the aims and objectives of the policy are met.
We endeavour to:
- Comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- Continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- Continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- Incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- Increase employee awareness and training.
PLASTIC & OTHER CONSUMABLES
- By 30th September 2018, all carrier bags provided in our shops will be biodegradable and suitable for re-use in food recycling caddies.
- By 30th September 2018, all hand-tie arrangements will be offered in FSC-certified, recyclable paper bags, instead of in fabric bags.
- By 30th November 2018, we will use FSC-certified, recyclable paper sleeves to wrap flowers for display in pavement buckets, instead of plastic sleeves.
- By 30th November 2018, we will use FSC-certified, recyclable paper tape instead of plastic tape on our wrapping.
- We will use cleaning materials that are as environmentally friendly as possible.
ENERGY & WATER
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will be conscious of our use of water and seek to use it in the most efficient way possible.
WASTE & RECYCLING
- We will use First Mile Recycling to manage mixed recycling, food recycling and other waste generated in our shops.
- We will send zero waste to landfill.
- We will review recycling reports on a monthly basis and make ourselves aware of how we can continually improve on the KPI’s provided by our supplier.
- We will encourage employees and contractors to travel to work by bicycle or public transport.
- We will make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- When the need for replacement arises, we will consider ‘greener’ transportation investments such as hybrid delivery vans.
MONITORING & IMPROVEMENT
- We will comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- We will continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- We will continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- We will incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- We will increase employee awareness through training.
- We will review this policy and any related business issues at our bi-annual whole company meetings.
- We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.